![]() |
| And a special "thank you" to the makers of Glade air-freshener! |
As Mark Twain once famously said, “reports of my death are greatly exaggerated, but I’m starting to wonder if Stilton Jarlsberg is pushing up daisies.”
Others may have imagined that I had finally taken up involuntary residence in a loony bin - which of course is an outdated and deeply offensive term, now replaced with the more dignified “loony facility.”
Happily, neither of these options is true…though the brochures from the loony facility look pretty darn tempting. The actual truth is that in these weird times, the blog had become just a bit too much for me to handle.
My last post was in January, commemorating the passing of Scott Adams. I listened to his podcast daily and it was his wit and wisdom that allowed me to have some contact with the news and world events without freaking out (losing Kathy has left me without the ability to cope with much stress).
When Scott Adams died, it largely cut my last umbilical to the outside world and left me untethered. And owing to stringent local leash laws, it turns out that I’m supposed to be tethered at all times and, additionally, not poop on people’s lawns.
But oh, how I’ve missed you! This community has been an important part of my life for a long time and I’d like us to renew our special friendship. So it’s my intent to start posting regularly again, albeit not to talk about the (ahem) “news” which has become so insane that it’s no longer possible to satirize.
And speaking of insane (he segued deftly), things here on the home front have recently gotten more interesting owing to my recent diagnosis of having autism and ADHD. Mind you, these would be conditions I’ve had my entire life, but weren’t caught (by me, at least) until age 73. This has initiated a lot of introspection about the role these conditions have played in my life, and it can rapidly get pretty overwhelming. It only changes everything.
Moreover, it was long thought that autism and ADHD couldn’t coexist in the same noggin because they’re oppositional conditions: one is overwhelmed by sensory overload, the other seeks novel experiences. One seeks stability, the other seeks entertaining chaos. It’s basically like having a cobra and a mongoose constantly fighting to the death in my brain, unable to agree on anything except that rats make tasty snacks.
Still, I’m the same me I’ve always been, so why quibble over semantics to determine if I’m “quirky” or “certifiable?” Either way, my goal is to again make Stilton’s Place a fun (and safe) place to visit. I hope you’ll again come along for the ride!
![]() |
| My apologies to those of you who lost your bets... |


Funny! I just visited the blog a little earlier today and wondered why you hadn't posted since January. My wonderment must be considered a super power and with great power comes great responsibility!
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you back, Stilt!
I was going to say the same thing. Our brain waves must have connected somehow in the universe!
DeleteGOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK............
DeleteI just got my ticket for the ride. Geez, I thought the train had left the station without me 😱‼️
ReplyDeleteFirst time poster, long time reader (lurker). Never had anything of consequence to say that others hadn't said better. Missed you bunches. Welcome back to the weird on-line world in which we live!
ReplyDeletePop
My thoughts exactly.
DeleteWe missed you! Glad you're back!
ReplyDeleteSo happy you’re back. Missed you.
ReplyDeleteMissed ya.
ReplyDeleteWithin the last week, I looked back at your last post in January. I sure missed your wit and insight, which always helped me through my day.
ReplyDeleteHello my friend. Good to see you again. I know how hard it is for you now. Within a couple of years after my own beloved wife passed, my other two best friends also departed, so I do understand that feeling. And yes, Scott Adams, a hero and imho, a prophet of sorts, was also a very personal sort of loss to me too. Like you, I could listen to him go over various subjects, some of which were deep and dark, and yet - like Rush - he never left his followers with a sense of doom and despair, at the end of his programs, but always helped find some glimmer of hope. A rare talent, and at the moment I don't know of anyone who is fit to pick up where he left off.
ReplyDeleteSorry to ramble on. FWIW, I have never ceased praying for you daily. And as a great sage once said- we can never take for granted that the people we know, will always be around; even the young and healthy can meet a demise in an auto accident or natural disaster; so we should never miss the opportunity, when we see them, to say, "Hey! I could really use that money you owe me!"
Bless you.
Everyone is at least a little autistic and adhd. Just enough of each makes you very creative. So there you go! Was indeed worried. Glad your still on our side.
ReplyDeleteI've been known to P.O. people by saying "Everyone is on the Spectrum, that's why it's called a spectrum" especially when "I'm on the Spectrum™" is being used to excuse being an insufferable ass (on their, or their offspring's part)
DeleteAlso known as being an Odd, some of us have been functioning (for versions of Function) for all our lives.
Stilton and Busty,
ReplyDeleteWelcome back. We love you both!
Have you considered God? He loves you and is anxious to welcome you into his loving embrace.
Peace be with you!
Jim G. Coronado, CA
Hi, Stilton! I was so happy to get your email today. I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago and wondering what happened to you. I was reading your blog during your wife’s illness and remembering how sad it was, how moving your writing was, and in spite of all that, how funny you were. I’m looking forward to enjoying your blog again.
ReplyDeleteLong time follower and fellow journeyer. I am glad to see you back. We are here for such a short time. None of us knows how our lives will be measured, or by whom. You have already given so much more of yourself than is your share, and brightened the lives of so many of your fellow travelers that if your life is not measured of worthy, neither is most of the rest of us. Sharing your views on life and current events has been a blessing for me, and I am sure many others!
ReplyDeleteYAAAAAY!!!!! He's BACK!!!! We missed you. Glad you're not pushing up daisies...
ReplyDeleteOK, so who are you and how did you get my email address? 😬. Glad you’re back among the living.
ReplyDeleteAs long as Johnny O. continued to show up 3 times a week, I knew you were still here. Farley's Funhouse on YouTube was a clue for a while too. I didn't know there was a bookie...
ReplyDeleteThank God you're back! I need a little joy once a week. No pressure but that is your responsibility now. :-) Glad that either you are feeling better, or (I hope that) by your efforts you soon will be. <3
ReplyDeleteMissed you, man! Glad to see you still on the top side of the lawn.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to start my week. The world has rebalanced knowing you are still kickin'.
ReplyDeletea sincere welcome back. I thought the Texas heat got to you. While I miss Texas (35 years), I do not miss the summer heat. again, welcome back!
ReplyDeleteFinally a breath of fresh air, under the table. Very, very glad for a new post.
ReplyDeleteI can't add much to what's already been said here. But i'm very pleased that you're back and looking forward to your future posts as usual!
ReplyDeleteSo the daisies were a decoy! Glad to hear from you again… keep at it buddy.
ReplyDeleteAm very glad to hear that you are still on the right side of the grass. Had assumed otherwise.
ReplyDeleteWelcome home! Missed you. We have autism at our house - welcome to 'tism town!
ReplyDeleteMissed your snark..was reduced t bottom feeding
ReplyDeleteI too say, welcome back. You and Busty (and Lefty to an extent) have been missed. Yes, politics has become even more insane to the point now most news (on both sides of the spectrum) has degenerated into nothing more that ragebait/clickbait. Thankfully the WSJ hasn't...yet. But still, with all the political craziness about, wouldn't all this be material by the dump truck load? To keep my mind off of this crazy world, I've discovered and look in on this site. https://notalwaysright.com/
ReplyDeleteOMG lots of material. Well I presume Stilts offerings will have cross application, human nature being what it is.
DeleteGlad you are back!!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're back. Did you see MItch?
ReplyDeleteA pleasure to hear from you.
ReplyDeleteWhat they said!!!
ReplyDeleteSo very delighted to hear from you. No pressure but get back to work the rest of us crazies need our leader
ReplyDeleteVery glad to hear you are back. I wondered what was going on.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you’re still among us, Cousin. There isn’t one of us who could take up the mantle.
ReplyDeleteHi Stilton Nice to hear from you. I have some of the same conditions and nobody ever diagnosed untile the decided they knew names of some of it. Here I am at 74 and just living it like always. Jack is gone as you know and the last 9 years and 4 months tomorrow are a living hell each day without him. Lost my cat BeBe 6-23-25 and lost cat Billy Jack 2-21-26.
ReplyDeleteMy two remaining brother siblings are completely deranged and the one I try NEVER to have anything to do with, is hopped up on drugs of various sorts and disabled and the other is alcoholic and probably some form of dementia keeps taking joy rides across the county, cops calling me recently from O'Fallen for driving on the wrong side of a freeway and then Wisconson and no idea about THAT one because I am finished with him too and nothing I can do about it and WON'T.
I have some dread undiagnosed deal that has been going on for 17 months now and I'm just trying to do what they tell me and hope to see some improvement,
Good to hear from you.
In my prayers and love to you!
Great tp see you're back and as mmmmmmm wise and snarky, yes those two things can exist at the same time also.
ReplyDeleteWelcome (back) my friend. To the machine!
ReplyDeleteYou keep writing, I'll keep reading - really been missing your unique reports
ReplyDeleteI for one am thankful for your continued breathing. Congratulations on getting over this speed bump!
ReplyDeleteAs JustaJeepGuy said, being a regular reader of Johnny O, I have had no worries these past many months. At least about your continued presence upon this Earth. Since this blog is an entirely different animal, I am very happy that we may look forward to your unique and entertaining perspectives once again. Cheers and Huzzah!!
ReplyDeleteJohnny gave it away...I am working out mentally, so as to be able to better cope with more Stilton AI...like your great western AI Biscuits and Beans, which was moved to my music video folder and is played often. Glad to see you're up and about, thanks!
ReplyDeleteI’m ready❗️
ReplyDeleteSaddled up and ready to ride pardner!
ReplyDeleteHappy Day!
ReplyDeleteGood to know you're still with us.
If you want to avoid politics and current affairs, there's always gardening. I planted Tiger Flower (NOT Tiger Lily) bulbs this past Spring, and they are in bloom -- very pretty. The bloom only lasts one day, but each plant blooms many times.
Ditto to what everyone before me said, "Welcome back."
ReplyDeleteThis is the BEST news I've heard on a Monday in a long time! Welcome back!
ReplyDeleteEscaped? Missed your humor in a world gone crazy, my grandkids think grandpa is lying about growing up in a sane world. Our hope is in Gods Word!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Bob S from the free state of Idaho.
Very happy to get your email this morning. You crossed my mind last week , checked blog and nothing... Great news today that you are returning and looking forward to what you have to say going forward!!!!
ReplyDeleteSoooo...Sooo...SOOO!!! happy to see you're back!!! You are SOOO well LOVED!!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear from you again man! We are all glad you're with us and I look forward to reading whatever thoughts you feel like sharing!
ReplyDeleteWelcome home the rest of the inmates missed you
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you back! I wouldn't put too much stock into "diagnoses" of certain conditions. They try to label anyone who isn't a screaming prog as having some kind of issue. We are all in this together in this world. And we are glad that you are a participant. We missed you!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, you're sorely missed!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little disappointed. I just knew you were kidnapped by extraterrestrials. Then again, maybe you were, and they brought you back with demand you make up a plausible explanation, and not reveal the secrets of the universe.
ReplyDeleteYou made my day!!!!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, you have been missed
ReplyDeleteWelcome back Stilt...you"ve been missed so much here in Colorado!
ReplyDeleteGlad to have you back to posting. I’ve missed your wit and wisdom.
ReplyDeleteGreat to have you back, Mr. Cheeseman. Think of your competing conditions thusly: in the UK, every year there is a competition to catch a rolling wheel of cheddar down a steep hillside. That cheddar is in your brain. Now imagine that rolling cheddar of sarcasm running into a big fat Brie, just oozing tons of hyperbole. The subsequent mixture of the different humors (notice the subtle inclusion of medieval medicine) will result in a Stilton Jarlsberg better than before, stronger, faster…..The Six Million Dollar Cheeseman. You go, gov!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! We need your addled brain in our lives!
ReplyDeleteGod Bless, and "Welcome Back, Kotter!"
ReplyDeleteTVAG
Welcome back! And I think the term you're looking for is "Certifiably Quirky". Embrace it and life is a liitle easier.
ReplyDeleteDamn glad to see a sign-o-life. I'm in my 60's, and it's just ridiculous how many of my friends and family have jumped on this "dropping dead" bandwagon. I hope this horrible fad doesn't last.
ReplyDeleteStilt is back, the world is about to "right itself" again. Great news!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you back old Son! Keep putting it out there, it's all good. Love to read it and mostly agree (hahaha) have a good one. Mike
ReplyDeleteWelcome Back! Glad you're at it again!
ReplyDeleteHi Stilton - missed your special kind of satire. Welcome back.
ReplyDeleteI join the chorus in welcoming you back. Greg Gutfeld has been my only source for humor, so you are a breath of fresh air. As far as my circumstances go, I was just rocking along feeling well and suddenly developed a hernia. A CT scan confirmed the hernia, as well as undefinable things on my liver, a kidney stone, an unidentified flying object in my lung that may or may not be cancer, possible osteoporosis, and calcified arteries and aorta. Good times! So now I'm seeing a gaggle of specialists, and did I say how much I hate filling out forms in medical offices? I've already had two CTs, one MRI, and a bone density test and now I get to have a PET scan, echocardiogram, another CT and a tube with a camera stuck down my throat to get a biopsy. Oh, and surgery to fix the hernia. The kidney stone will wait patiently until all these other nightmares are done.
ReplyDeleteI really missed you. But then, I'm a lousy shot!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Stilt!
ReplyDeleteWelcome Back Stilt! I didn't realize how much I missed your commentaries on life until I read today's posting.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are back Sir.
ReplyDeleteBring a smile that is sorely needed!
Thank you.
Very happy to see your post! We need the laughs and have really missed you.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back to the show that never ends. Your humor is needed. Some bring joy by leaving, you bring joy by returning. You were missed. Prayers sent your way.
ReplyDeleteWelcome Back Stilton. We have sorely miss you.
ReplyDeleteWit such as yours is in desperate, short supply. Welcome back!
ReplyDeleteSo many true fans posted in less than 24 hours - that speaks heartfelt volumes about you and your work - So relieved you are back, life s better now, looking forward to the next rich trove. The combination of your return and continuation is the fitting tribute to Scott Adams!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are back!
ReplyDeleteBobo
ReplyDeleteLet’s try this again!! I seem to have forgotten how to post here.
DeleteSo happy you are back. Like the others here, I thought about you a couple of days ago and then “poof” here you are! With the political system the way it is leading up to the midterms, I’m hoping you’ll have some words about the DSA (Dumb shits of America) democraps party and their attempted take of America If they can. I just can’t believe the USA would ever stand for for such stupidity, but that’s the higher education system and professors.
Welcome back! I didn’t see some of the old familiar names such as John the Econ who I enjoyed reading here, also.
-Bobo
Welcome to the Neurodivergent Team! I took my own advice and applied for VA disability (at 60) and part of the findings were, Autism - formerly known as Asperger's. Cue - well, that explains a lot... Glad to hear you're still with us and dropping by when you're up to it. Have a great week!
ReplyDelete@Readers- I'm blown away by all of your kind comments! I want to write some personalized replies but I haven't had time yet. I'll get to it, though!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to see you are back!!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back,I have check on the site from time to time and I'm glad you're active once more.Just remember everyone is 'certifiable',the only thing to work out is to what extent.If you still had Looney Bins in America they would be overflowing.
ReplyDeleteMy husband turned me onto you before he died, right around the time your wife was ill. Our common ground keeps me connected to you. Thanks for having the courage to return. You have been missed.
ReplyDeleteBeen enjoying Johnny, Glad to see you can string more than a coupla sentences at a time together now. Been perusing your ponderances for years. Weird that I just got the email today.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to regular doses of Stilton with a bit o Busty Ross and Lefty Lucy
ReplyDeleteWho is this?
ReplyDeleteWelcome back to the job - we apppreciate you!
ReplyDeleteBon! C'est bon. The surf has been mucho disappointing without the likes of GrouchyOldCripple, E-Claire, Dianny, and you.
ReplyDeleteMade me wonder ou sont les blaguers et raconteurs d'antan?
Bienvenido de regreso.
Nice to see you posting a bit once more. I hope the life stuff is working a bit better for you as you're moving on along and I have always enjoyed your insights and take on life stuff and such. Any way, thank you for posting once more.
ReplyDeleteWelcome home, my friend. It's good to have you back. Be well, and stay well.
ReplyDeleteSOOOO glad you're back!!! I've really missed being able to read something that doesn't force me to resist the urge to throw my laptop across the room! Welcome back, friend!
ReplyDeleteWow, been off-grid and this is one of the things I really did miss. Welcome back! We've missed you! So glad you're still with us.
ReplyDeleteI have little doubt that if I was born 25 years or so later than I was, I'd have probably been diagnosed with something and my parents told to drug me up. So thankful that never happened.
So since we've established that the news is insane, you are insane, and that I am probably insane, just what are we going to talk about? Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to it.
Glad to see you back. Most of your readers, whether they ever post comments or not, see you as a friend they've never met, and were worried about you during your long absence. (I certainly was.) Our only consolation (I'm extrapolating my feelings to your entire fan base) was that Johnny O was still around, so you must be, too. And we're always in your corner. If you need time to heal, take it; we'll be here waiting for you.
ReplyDelete(And I remember the old aspirin commercials with the hammer pounding inside the head. I think a constant cobra -mongoose fight would sell a lot of product.)
Great to have you back😊
ReplyDelete@Mike aka Proof- So YOU were the guy holding the seance that brought me back!
ReplyDelete@Sue in Oregon- Oh, we'd definitely hold the train for you.
@SpringerPop- No sin in lurking (well, not here at least). It all counts!
@G Cooper- That "wit and insight" cuts both ways around here and I missed hearing from the good folks here, too!
@Julian Harper- I am so sorry about the losses in your life. For a variety of reasons, my stress and grief remain pretty much unchanged. And you're absolutely right about Rush and Scott Adams - they shared potentially frightening stories, but leavened them with humor, insight, and optimism. A little hope is a wonderful thing, but I've been hard put to find it. Maybe I need one of those truffle-snuffling pigs to ferret some out for me!
@JFarrell- I'm learning a lot about autism and ADHD that I didn't know (for instance, news that I'm the 2026 Poster Boy came as a shock). Without these conditions, I wouldn't have had the sporadically remarkable life I've had. Tales to follow!
@Jim G- Thanks for the kind words. I suppose I should look for a burning bush for spiritual guidance, only ALL the bushes are smoldering in Texas this time of year!
@Anonymous- On a very personal level, it means a lot to me that people here shared that "unhappy but trying to laugh" cancer journey. Hopefully, I won't be writing anything like that again in the foreseeable future.
@JayE- What kind and wise words. I'm humbled. And I do think one of the most important things we can do as individuals is to make life better and more pleasant for as many people as possible.
@Bill R- I won't lie, I bought your email address from a dying Nigerian prince who said I should get in touch with you.
@JustaJeepGuy- See, it's the folks who read Johnny that cashed in on the bets about my continuing existence. And I intend to put more content up on Farley's Funhouse, too!
@DaleFlannery- I don't yet know WHAT the heck I'll be writing here, but my goal is to make it fun to read.
@Dave- Still, I'm disappointing thousands of hungry worms...
@Anonymous- I'm not sure I've rebalanced the world, but at least I'll be adding an amusing wobble.
@Bobo the Hobo- Thank you for giving me the official company policy on absences. I'll print it and put it on the wall next to the bilingual sign reminding me to wash my hands after using the bathroom.
ReplyDelete@Derek Anderson- "A breath of fresh air under the table." It's a cryptic statement, but I like it!
@Elbarto- Oh, if I'd actually conked it would have been all over the news media. Probably with a headline that mentions the Darwin Awards.
@ Anonymous/autism house- It's somewhat hilarious how many screamingly obvious clues I've overlooked for 70+ years. I'll be sharing some soon.
@Anonymous- You deserve better than bottom feeding. I'll try to elevate things at least to the level of a tramp stamp.
@Fish Out of Water- Oh, there's a tsunami of political idiocy that I could turn into content, but it distresses me to pay attention to the (ahem) "news" these days. As you say, it's all about ragebait/clickbait now and I don't want to play that game. I can get stressed out on my own, thank you very much. Plus, it really is hard to satirize the news these days: Trump going to war with Canada by changing the name of Lake Ontario, socialism growing in popularity amongst liberal idiots, Epstein files, UFO files, and $40 trillion in debt? How can I make those things more ridiculous than they already are?
@Jumpinjn- Like Obama, I prefer to lead from behind. Unlike Obama, not real behinds.
@Emmentaler Limburger- Granted, it's kind of a weird-ass mantle...
@Kathe Houston- Aww, I'm sorry about the cats. The friendships with animals can run very deep. And I'm also sorry to hear about the family frictions and illnesses. That's rough stuff. And whatever you've been fighting for 17 months, I hope it will get better soon!
ReplyDelete@Anonymous- Wise & Snarkey were a great vaudeville act back in the day. I can only dream of reaching their crowd-pleasing comedic heights!
@Phil D- Yes, the machine! Huzzah! (Wait...what machine?)
@TrickyRicky- I'm not quite sure what I'll be posting here yet, but my goal is to share some laughs and conversations. I've missed my extended online family here!
@Anonymous- Careful what you wish for - I've been playing around with AI music a lot and hope to share more songs with you!
@Tired Farmer- All I ask is that you go easy with those spurs.
@scamorama- I could write about ONE post on gardening because I suck at it, so it would really be a description of ineptitude and suffering plants. Kathy was the (expert) gardener. I try to keep up with things, but I can feel her eyes rolling from on high. And say, those Tiger Flowers look pretty cool - I'll see if I can find some!
@American Cowboy- Thankee, sir.
@Murphy AZ- Happy to help!
@Bob S- I swear that I do remember when the world was sane. Or at least close enough to it to fool me. Now? Not hardly.
@JP- Yeah, I didn't just suddenly develop late-life AuDHD, I just suddenly realized that I've always had it. It's fascinating stuff and I'll be talking more about it in the future (albeit amusingly).
@Kelly from WI- I'm flattered that I crossed your mind. And I don't even owe you money!
@BarbaCat- And it's SOOooo good to be back!
@Doc Claussen- I'll try to keep the thoughts amusing!
@EJ- I've missed "primal scream night" here at the institution.
@Elam Blacktree- This wasn't so much a case of anyone wanting to label me and more of a case of my wanting to understand the conditions because they run in my family. But you're right that every one of us is individual and special in our own ways. You know, like a bowl of mixed nuts.
Good to see you back. ADHD is SO much fun~~And then the semi-autism makes life even more interesting. The parents wondered why their youngest child never talked. But male parent worked morning tower and little girl was "kept quiet" to keep from waking the working parent. Well, duh. If you don't speak to the child, the child does not know to speak!! See, things do have an explanation sometimes.
ReplyDeleteGood to see you back. Since you last posted I lost my wife to pancreatic cancer. One hell of a gut punch. I turn 80 in about a month, but I'm not confident that I'll make it that far. As to those diagnoses, I wouldn't give them no mind -- I once took a course in abnormal psychology, and learned that the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) they use is a bad joke that twenty different clinicians can use to generate twenty different diagnoses from the same set of "symptoms." Meanwhile, the entire world has turned into one huge loony facility.
ReplyDeleteI missed your weird humor,and now we know where it came from.The world needs your kind of thinking.Glad to see you posting again.My pet rat,though,has questions about how you'd know a rat is tasty.
ReplyDeleteHave you noticed how nobody names their children things like "Millard" any more? Or "Gouvernour" (as in Morris, Declaration of Independence signer) or "Learned" (as in Hand, the famous judge)?
DeleteWelcome back. Missed you a lot.
ReplyDeleteMissed you back!
ReplyDeleteI missed you. And not because I'm a lousy shot!
ReplyDeleteHuzzahh !
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful surprise and so glad you’re back with us again. You were missed as a sane voice in the insane world..looking forward to laughing again. It’s been awhile. You’re loved Stilton…
ReplyDeleteIt’s sort of like a fever has broken.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Stilt! I am proud to be part of the throng whose world got a little more befuddled when you went offline for awhile but feeling much better now you are back.
ReplyDeleteStilt's back! The world's OK again...OK, it's at least half-right again and that's a big plus for us Stilton fans.
ReplyDeleteWell I'll be darned, great to see this! Hope all is well!
ReplyDelete