A funny thing happened on the way to the lighthearted, carefree post I'd intended for Monday. I had planned to share the fact that I've really been enjoying creating songs with the help of artificial intelligence. Many of them are funny, others are traditional songs, and a few are serious and soul-baring.
I'm fully aware of, and have some sympathy for, the people who are having conniption fits about AI music, pointing out that in the Terminator movie series, Skynet's first attack on humanity was the creation of the brain-devouring song "Baby Shark - doo doo doot doo doota doo doo." It's a song that literally gets deep into your brain and then says "I'll be back."
But personally I feel okay with using AI to assist me in music creation (Suno being my app of choice). I claim this right because in my colorful past, I have been a professional audio producer, I have fronted two bands live on stage, I have written actual songs for decades, I was nominated for a Grammy (that's the award with the sweet little old toothless lady on a pedestal), I'm a paid member of BMI with a lot of registered works, and my songs have been performed live in concerts (by famous artists). All of which is my way of saying that I've paid my dues, so all you whippersnappers who want to bitch about it can just get off my virtual lawn!
So for Monday, I'd planned to share a funny rock anthem with you (and I still will, soon) but it seems I can't just post audio on the blog. So I'd have to post a link to a video of the song. Meaning I had to make a video (with time running out). I took a darn good stab at it, but a number of technical snafus were complicating the process, and then there was another snafu and... my brain exploded, with shards expelled so forcefully that there were reports of skull fragments plunking into Lake America and The Gulf of America. Not to mention in between those two, where there was...America.
The explosion was mostly, but not completely, metaphorical. Because thanks to my recent twin diagnoses of autism and ADHD I know that I was having an autistic meltdown. The mental system overheats, the gears lock up, and the sufferer can basically do nothing until, with the glacial passing of time, the brain has cooled enough to try jumpstarting again.
And yes, all of this is weird as hell for an almost 74-year old. Mind you, there's no question that the diagnoses are accurate, as the clues have always been screamingly obvious. And yet...nobody around me knew. Kathy didn't know. And I didn't know.
And yes, all of this is weird as hell for an almost 74-year old. Mind you, there's no question that the diagnoses are accurate, as the clues have always been screamingly obvious. And yet...nobody around me knew. Kathy didn't know. And I didn't know.
So getting the official diagnosis seems like it should be no big deal, because it's simply labeling a cluster of traits that you've had since childhood. You can't catch this stuff - it's baked in at the factory. A factory that apparently has pretty liberal policies about employees using drugs on the job.
But the reality is that getting the diagnosis IS a big deal. A very big deal. Because those of us with ADHD overthink everything. It is, in fact, our only way of thinking and it's not in our power to stop it or slow it down without medical intervention or a big cartoon mallet. And so we review our entire lives through this odd new filter, understanding things which were never clear before. And getting into serious questions about our own identities. Did I make the choices in my life, or were those made by my brain gremlins?
It's all exhausting and, no doubt for you, pretty boring. Oh, there is humor to be had in this odd new state of affairs and we'll be having it right here. But for now, I just wanted to explain how my short-term brain blowout derailed Monday's intended post.
It's all exhausting and, no doubt for you, pretty boring. Oh, there is humor to be had in this odd new state of affairs and we'll be having it right here. But for now, I just wanted to explain how my short-term brain blowout derailed Monday's intended post.

Welcome back from all of us to both of you!😁😁😁
ReplyDeleteWelcome back
ReplyDeleteBeen looking for you…welcome back!
ReplyDeleteSuno is cool!
ReplyDeletehttps://suno.com/song/f931be22-67af-478c-8810-ccb168ca1a76
Stilt, glad you're back! Surprised that you are only 73, for some reason I always assumed you were an old guy.
ReplyDeleteDamn, my morning is a lot brighter with you arpund !
ReplyDeleteA granddaughter of mine gave me a tee shirt that looks like an AC/DC shirt and says AD/HD Highway to... hey, look, a squirrel.
ReplyDeleteBTW, for an old guy, (younger than I) shouldn't it be "get off my cloud!"?
ReplyDeleteCloud? What cloud?
DeleteWe're glad to hear anything from you, Stilton, any time!
ReplyDeleteTime for rational emotive therapy. The brain synapsis will find a better path. You are not crazy. Sleep resets a lot, usually for the better. All easy to say when you are in remission:-) Your humor is actually rational as is our appreciation. Keep on truck'n. That is all I have to say.
ReplyDeleteWhippersnapper! A happy and good day from a senior reader! We know what you mean…. Dennis from St Augustine
ReplyDeleteSorry, while you were away, I replaced you with AI, much funnier and dependable too.
ReplyDeleteYeah, regarding the ADHD thing, do you find yourself counting steps whilst walking through the neighborhood? Asking for a friend.....
ReplyDeleteIt’s that “overthinking” that made me a successful engineer, and likely gave you your creative success as well. Harness your power as you always have. Don’t let having the “demon” named derail your mind. You’ll be fine.
ReplyDeleteFunny - growing up, there was no labels of “autism” or “adhd”. People were just different from each other. People dealt with their “differentness”, those differences becoming their genius or, in many cases: their undoing. But society hadn’t yet labeled or classified them - as they have now. And that classification has brought what? Ritalin?
Forget your newfound label and just keep on doing what you always have.
I've not gone in for any diagnosis but my kids could always tell when I was the one who loaded the dishwasher by the way the silverware was arranged in the silverware tray.
ReplyDeleteNot to put too fine a point on it, but how long after encountering that Baby Shark video did you receive your diagnosis? But more importantly, did you watch the damned thing all the way through? I knew within the first few seconds that I had to shut that abomination down before it did the same to me... but my evil grandchild wouldn't let me. How many memories perished to make room for this forgettable trivia? And now I must pay a piper the little bastard will not comprehend until long after I've croaked. The sacrifices we make and all.
ReplyDeleteI'm older than you and I count steps,overthink and over engineer everything I make plus talk to myself since my wife passed,but I'm memorizing your explaination of the condition for future use."The mental system overheats, the gears lock up, and the sufferer can basically do nothing until, with the glacial passing of time, the brain has cooled enough to try jumpstarting again".This will drive the family NUTS. Welcome back,I wish I could put together words like you.
ReplyDeleteHI, Yea I have ADHD and probably some autism and CPTSD and numerous shrinks and therapists and their drugs which did nothing mostly except take all my money. And I'm 74 and they did not diagnose any of this stuff back in those days. I just lived with it all. Colorblind, dyslexic and all the rest.
ReplyDeleteLosing Jack kicked it all out in the open again and none of their grief counseling or mindfulness or whatever else they dreamed up for me to do EMDR, ART has ever held up to bring me relief or sleep long term.
So
I YAM what I YAM and I'm sick to death of hearing, "Oh, your neural pathways can rebuild!" To What I ask?
Watson understood my insanities and always made me laugh regardless of what idiotic thing I was saying or doing and he loved me. I really can be quite creative and was sent to Bell Labs for a time in early phone days because I could make their programs do what they didn't think could happen. LOL
I ain't got that no more so floating out here. Best wishes to you. Glad your mind and your skills are still put to use even with a glacial passing of time. Love to ya! PS I never read my Gmail account and it drives my computer buy wild HA HA Why try to change me now?